With the right knowledge across fly tying tools, comes enhanced expertise.
Take a look through the following section to get to grips with all the important fly tying tools... the more you know, the better fly fisher you'll be, it's that simple. There are many fly tying tools you could get by without, but some items are essential for optimum performance.
Fly tying tools - the essentials
- Bobbin Hackle
Fly tying tools - the desirables
- Whip Finish Knot... is the strongest and knot, you even need to apply head cement after you tie the knot.
- Bobbin... is the single most important fly tying tool that you absolutely cannot get along without, it's the device that holds the thread while you wrap it around the hook.
- Bodkin... is the device you'll need to apply head cement to flies. The sharp pointy end can be dipped into the cement to easily put small amounts of glue onto tricky smaller areas of flies.
- Bobbin Threader... a simple but beautiful tool which has a thin wire which you place the fly tying thread into, comes in handy when using thin threads.
- Hackle Pliers... a crucial bit of kit used in tying most flies. Using pliers you can get a good grip on the tip of very small hackles and easily maintain grip when wrapping hackle.
- Half Hitch Tool... a simple widget used in tying a basic overhand knot onto the head of your fly. This is one device that you can certainly live without, but it helps.
- Scissors... arguably the most crucial tool of all, a good pair of scissors will keep your flies looking tidy and will ensure a true cut from your valuable fly tying materials.
- Fly Tying Vise... is among one of the most essential bits of kit in your gear, a good vise will enable you to keep a great grip on a hook and make tying flies easier altogether.